Home / Indycar News / Alonso hopeful of Indy 500 return in 2019

Alonso hopeful of Indy 500 return in 2019

Fernando Alonso hopes his Formula 1 schedule will allow him to return to the Indianapolis 500 in 2019 as he bids to become the second man in history to complete the ‘triple crown of motorsport’.

Alonso skipped the Monaco Grand Prix to make his Indy 500 debut last year, and is lining up an entry to the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2018 with Toyota as part of his shot to emulate Graham Hill.

The Spaniard will make his sports car racing debut later this month in the Rolex 24 at Daytona to prepare for a possible Le Mans entry, and said that while F1 remains his priority, he is keen to return to the Indy 500 next year if there is no clash.

“To race in some iconic events during the season and not disturb Formula 1 is also the plan,” Alonso told media at Daytona International Speedway on Friday.

“Doing [Daytona] is also some kind of first step in endurance and how these races are and how much I enjoy these races. Hopefully it’s a positive answer, because I never did it.

“After the 24 hours at Daytona, I will have a better understanding of these championships. Le Mans 24 hour and the triple crown is another target, so if I can fit the Le Mans 24 hour this year as I’m not doing the Indy 500, that would be great.

“Hopefully the following year, the Indy 500 can be in the plan again.”

Crash indycar RSS Feed

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close